Note: I selected the soccer/football "scoring" image because it relates to the theme, "GED Essay Scoring Rubric," and because of the World Cup. : )
Lesson Plan 2
Sample Essay #1
Sample Essay #2
Classroom Activity
https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AaaDL3cIrNTAZGdmNm54bTNfMjFjOGI4d3Rmdw&hl=en&authkey=CNOf85kL
Cheers,
~Stace

Hi Stacy, I enjoyed reading this section of your blog and I think this sounds like a good lesson. However, without a copy of the GED scoring rubric, I can't quite get at the very heart of the lesson. I would appreciate reading a copy of the GED Scoring Rubric since that is the focus of this lesson. Can you post that here? And then, what do you think about the GED scoring rubric and what did students say about this rubric?
ReplyDeleteBarbara
I think Prof. Gleason raised an interesting question here: "What do you think about the rubric?" Maybe this lesson would benefit from more questions posed to students about the best ways to evaluate an essay, and whether or not this rubric is effective.
ReplyDeleteThe challenge here is that students have to spend a significant amount of time unraveling the meaning within the rubric, so the time left for reflection about the meaning is limited, because the lesson moves into application of the rubric to sample essays. Maybe one of the sample essays could have been reviewed by the class before introducing the rubric, so that students could practice reviewing on their own.
When you gave this lesson, what did you think of the students' reactions to this essay? I would be interested to read about how and why you chose these samples, and what you expected students to say about them.